Pages

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

WIP my first clay bust

My first clay bust. I had a good time building this armature and sculpting platform (scrap wood, lazy susan, pipes all cheap at the hardware store).

I'm using Sculpey classic recipe. It's really soft but I have it already and since this is my first attempt it's probably going to be ok..

Started out doing an "innsmouth look" guy but I want to do that right, this guy turned into a dragon man of sorts. Still not sure what his skis is made of but I do want to try some really fine details. Seems hard in the soft sculpey.

The initial take, just threw some nav'i ears on there to see what it could look like. Ears always seem far too fragile and impossible to sculpt so I really want to have them.

Added a twist to the neck, also some 3/8 inch ball bearings as eyes. I guess I could actually make eyes out of sculpey and fire them then have nice hard eyeballs to sculpt around but I didn't think about that before I got these. Looks cool - hope it fires ok. Might be hard to paint but I don't think I will paint this one.

His profile. Next up is really digging into the skin texture. I'd love to do the entire piece by hand and take it to 100% finished. I'm pretty happy with my first sculpt. His anatomy is decent (although alien is more forgiving than real life for sure)

No comments: